Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What Are You Giving?

I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver. ~ Maya Angelou

On this day before Thanksgiving, you might expect me to write about how we should all be thankful for what we have, and we should live a life of gratitude 24/7/365. That’s true, but I’m not going there. Or, maybe you think I’m going to hound you about taking the time to write and work on your book project in the midst of cooking and eating and entertaining. Nope. Not gonna do it.

What I really want to share with you is this: be the GIVING in Thanks-giving. Yep, it’s just that simple. Everyone else is focused on the THANKS part of the holiday, as well they should be. It’s good to be in a place of gratitude, not just on Thanksgiving, but always. But tomorrow (and really, you might as well start today), I want you to focus on giving.

So, what do you have to give?  

Admittedly, I’m not a great gift giver. I struggle with deciding on the perfect gift for the people on my shopping list, whether it’s for birthdays, thank-yous, Christmas, or some other observance. Should I buy them something cool, something practical, or whatever’s hot in the marketplace? I know it depends on the person, but the gift thing gets me every time. So, what I try to do now is to give based on a few things I learned in an awesome book called The Five Love Languages. This has become one of my all-time fave reads. In the book, Dr. Gary Chapman shares five ways that people express and interpret love. These are the gifts that we should give year round. After all, if you’re going to take the time to give a gift, it might as well be thoughtful and be conveyed in a way that the recipient can interpret correctly. Chapman’s love languages are:
  • Words of Affirmation
  • Quality Time
  • Receiving Gifts
  • Acts of Service
  • Physical Touch
What’s your love language and what are the love languages of those to whom you are giving?

Get your mind off of the costly tangible things and consider the valuable intangibles that your gift recipients would truly appreciate. When you give these types of gifts – those of your heart and soul, those that are lasting and precious and unduplicatable – then you are truly GIVING of yourself. And believe me, the THANKS will come from both the recipient and you, the giver.
I don't think you ever stop giving. I really don't. I think it's an ongoing process. And it's not just about being able to write a check. It's being able to touch somebody's life. ~ Oprah Winfrey

So, what are you giving this holiday season?

My gift to you this Thanksgiving holiday is to offer 50% off of all of my author coaching packages. That’s right; half off my regular prices. I’ve never offered this gift, and unfortunately, I can’t extend the offer much longer. Click here to take advantage of this deal right now! It expires at midnight on Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment